A Leith's Chocolate Egg Brownies
185g unsalted butter
275g golden caster sugar
3 large eggs
85g plain flour
40g cocoa powder
185g best dark chocolate
6 Cadbury’s Crème Eggs, cut in half
1. Preheat the oven to 160c and grease a 20cm square baking tin.
2. Melt the butter and dark chocolate together either in the microwave or in a bowl over hot water.
3. Break 3 large eggs into a large bowl and tip in 275g of golden caster sugar. With an electric mixer on maximum speed, whisk the eggs and sugar until they look thick and creamy, this can take 3-8 minutes. You’ll know it’s ready when the mixture becomes pale and about double its original volume.
4. Pour the cooled chocolate mixture over the eggy mousse, then gently fold together.
5. Hold a sieve over the bowl of eggy chocolate mixture and sift the cocoa and flour mixture, shaking the sieve from side to side, to cover the top evenly. Gently, fold in the mixture.
6. Pour into the baking tin and cook for 15 minutes then take it out of the oven and gently press the Cadbury’s Crème Egg halves into the mix spacing them apart evenly. Put back in the oven for another 5-10 minutes.
7. Leave to cool before removing from the tin and cutting.